As I was searching for recipes, I came across a lot of information about the nutritional benefits that come from eating sweet potatoes. The beta-carotene and vitamin C, in orange sweet potatoes especially, help to prevent many types of cancer. According to this article from Livestrong, a medium-sized sweet potato "contains more than your daily requirement of vitamin A, nearly a third the vitamin C you need, almost 15 percent of your daily dietary fiber intake and 10 percent of the necessary potassium." Wow!
butternut squash "Mac & Cheese" recipes, with sweet potatoes instead. I won't pretend that sweet potatoes taste anything like cheese, but that doesn't make this dish any less delicious! It's a little bit tangy, sour, and sweet all at once. We'll be repeating this recipe many times over in the future.
Vegan Sweet Potato "Mac & Cheese"
- 2 cups cooked pasta of your choice
- 3/4 or 1 whole baked/boiled sweet potato
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp grapeseed oil or your oil of choice
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp mustard of choice
- Juice from half a lemon (or lime, if you're out of lemons)
- Pinch of salt to taste
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- For crust: 1 and a 1/2 tbsp of nutritional yeast and 1 tbsp of oil
- Add paprika or cayenne powder for a spicy twist!
- For a tangier taste, add more mustard (experiment with types of mustard too!)
- For a creamier dish, add more sweet potato or vegan margarine.
- If you buy organic sweet potatoes, leave the skin on (non-organic may have pesticides in the skin) to add to the texture!
1. If you choose to bake your sweet potato, then preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Peel (optional) and dice the sweet potato into cubes, and bake in a foil-lined dish for 20 minutes or until soft.
Boil the sweet potato by peeling (optional) and dicing into cubes. Cook in a small pot of boiling water until soft (5-10 minutes).
2. In a medium-sized pot, cook your pasta of choice according to the instructions on the box, drain, and put aside for later.
3. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
5. Add in the 2 cups of cooked noodles into the sweet potato mixture until combined.
6. Put your "cheesy" mixture into a baking dish.
7. Don't forget to add that additional sprinkle of nutritional yeast and oil over the top for a crispy crust when it's finished baking.
8. Bake in the oven at 400 degrees F for 10-12 minutes or until the top starts to look brown. Remove from oven, cool for a few minutes, and enjoy!
Not the greatest photograph, but we were just too eager to gobble it up!
|Gross photo, yummy food!|