Mexican Quinoa Soup (Easy & Vegan)

August 30, 2013

When we were trying to find new ways to add more quinoa (great source of complete protein) to our regular diet last year, I came across this amazing Mexican Quinoa Soup recipe.

Over the past year we've adapted the recipe to our simpler style of cooking, which doesn't involve deglazing, toasted quinoa or evenly charring peppers (I wish I was that patient!), but still remains a mouthwatering (and less labour intensive) dish.

I used to get away with cooking only once every few months when Patricio spent more time at home than me while he was a student. But now that he is working more than me, I couldn't justify not cooking dinner a few nights a week - he still does all the dishes after all.

You can't go wrong with this recipe, in my experience. It's simple, delicious, full of healthy protein, and no added fat! If you're more skilled and patient in the kitchen, I recommend the original recipe as well!

MEXICAN QUINOA SOUP (Vegan) adapted from Virtually Vegan Mama.

Ingredients: (estimated because I don't measure anything)
1-2 cups dry Quinoa, cooked
1 diced Red Pepper
1 diced Green Pepper
1 sliced Yellow Onion (I like big long slices)
An unlimited amount of whole cloves of garlic (the more the better, in my opinion!)

1 or 2 vegetable boullion cube
1 drained can of Kidney Beans
1 large can (28oz) of Diced Tomatoes

Paprika to taste
Crushed red chillies to taste
Salt to taste

Optional Garnish:
Tortilla chips
Fresh avocado slices or guacamole

INSTRUCTIONS: 
1. Boil water, about a quarter full (can always add more if needed) in large pot with vegetable boullion cube and generous pinch of salt.
2. Cook quinoa in separate pot (How to cook your quinoa perfectly, every time!).
3. Bring stove temperature down to medium low. Add canned tomatoes, kidney beans, diced peppers, onions and cloves of garlic.
4. Add just a couple dashes of paprika, salt and crushed red chillies for now.
5. Add perfectly prepared quinoa to soup mixture. Add more water if needed.
6. Let soup cook for 15-20 minutes with lid on, stirring occasionally, and adding more paprika, crushed chillies and salt to taste. A good way to tell if it's ready is by how tender the onions and garlic are.
7. Serve yourself a bowl, sprinkle on some tortilla chips, a dollop of guacamole, and enjoy.

No comments :

Post a Comment